- 1 cup brown rice
- 1tbs olive oil
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 400g can of diced tomatoes no added salt
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 red onion finely diced
- ½ cup grated cheese or plant-based cheese alternative
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp paprika
- 2tsp garlic powder
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt or sour cream to serve (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep oven proof frying pan with lid and cook onion until brown. Add dried spices, stir until onion is coated.
- Add tinned tomatoes, capsicum, zucchini, corn, beans, rice and 1.5 cups water bringing to the boil while stirring.
- Remove from stove, place lid on frying pan and bake in oven for 40 minutes, remove lid and add cheese cooking for a further 5 minutes
- Serve with diced avocado and Greek yoghurt as desired.
By Caitlin Mannion, Dietitian